Monday, April 01, 2013

A Tribute to SNL @ Gallery 1988

You can buy a limited signed/numbered print by clicking HERE
You can buy the one-of-a-kind framed album by clicking HERE
*************************************************************************

I have been watching Saturday Night Live since I was in my early teens. The show has had some pretty memorable characters over the years, but for me, there is no one better than Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar.

This is Gallery 1988's third group show based on comedy. For last year's piece, I chose Conan O'Brien, and something amazing happened. Conan O'Brien got in touch with me and now is the proud owner of a Joebot original! If you ever happen to make it into Conan's green room, you'll see my artwork hanging on the wall near the front door!

This year, the theme for the show was specifically to keep the pieces SNL themed. I was 12 years old when Wayne's World came out. I loved it. A lot. Next to the possibly obscure Christopher Walken skit where he puts googly eyes on plants to not be afraid of them anymore (See it HERE), Wayne's World is my favorite bit to ever come out of Saturday Night Live. I briefly thought about submitting a fern with some googly eyes... but instead, I decided to create another addition to my ongoing "High Fidelity" series:



I grew up in the small town of La Verne, CA. Across from my old high-school was a church that was used as a location in the film "The Graduate" which they recreated a scene from for Wayne's World 2. They were filming during the summer, and so I got to hang out and watch them for a few hours. In between takes, Mike Meyers came over to meet with the small group of us watching, and he was super nice! This is one of my favorite photos from my childhood:



I also created an album backing (just because it's one of the most fun parts for me, I love creating fake tracklists... I dunno why).



And here is the full framed one-of-a-kind album:



There is a lot of super talented artists in this show, so if you live near Los Angeles, take some time this month to go take a look at the show in person! If you can't make it out, you can always browse the gallery online by clicking HERE.

Come check out the show! It's currently showing in Gallery 1988's newest location until April 20th, 2013

Gallery 1988 (West)
7308 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
323-937-7088


No comments: